A lot of people think of Seattle as kind of a hip and trendy place to live. While that’s true, it’s also a very family-friendly place to live. There are tons of activities around the region that are ideal for families with kids. While some activities are more seasonal, there are plenty of places to go and things to see all year round in the Emerald City!
Here’s a look at just a handful of great activities you and your whole family can enjoy anytime you want.
- When Candy Is More Than Dandy: Most kids love candy (and so do their folks!). Here’s a chance for everyone to see how it’s made. The folks at Savor Seattle do a delicious and informative Chocolate Tour that usually includes stops at cupcake, cheesecake, and specialty chocolate shops in and around Pike Place Market. It’s a fun overview of where and how local chocolate is made. For more information, check out the Savor Seattle Website!
- Take Off For the Sky: Many people don’t know it, but Seattle was once called “Jet City” because of the influence the area had on aviation. The Museum of Flight is a fantastic museum for all ages and provides a fascinating introduction to all kinds of planes from the first 100 years of flight. Kids can look inside a Concord, see the first 747 ever built, and even take a look at the original Air Force One. There’s even a special Kids Flight Zone that has flight simulators. Check out the Museum of Flight Website for additional information.
- Go Underground: There is a whole dimension to Seattle that most residents never think about—and have certainly never seen. You can take the family on a tour of the Seattle Underground that exists below Pioneer Square. You’ll explore a maze of buried alleys and storefront that were once the surface streets of Seattle (Yep! We built right on top of existing structures). These tours are probably not best suited for very small children. If you and your slightly older children want an unforgettable and unusual perspective on Seattle, check out The Underground Tour Website for more information.
- Hands-On Activities: The Seattle Center has lots to offer including a lot of “hands-on” activities. Your kids can spin a two-ton granite ball in the outdoor area of the Pacific Science Center. They can also get up close and personal with sea life, or even stand in a dinosaur footprint. You can catch a movie at the IMAX theater and even visit the Insect Village. Budding musicians (and their parents) can rock out with guitars at the EMP Museum.
- History and Culture: The Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture is a great place to expose your kids to both natural history and cultural heritage. And if you and your kids enjoy sea life, you won’t want to miss The Seattle Aquarium where you can stroll around an underwater dome while watching dozens of species of fish and other marine life swimming past in a constant and varying stream of color.
That’s just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to family fun in the Seattle area.
Another thing that makes Seattle a family-friendly place is that there are great homes available. Our family has been building quality family homes in the Seattle area for almost 110 years. It’s where we’ve raised our families and we’d love to help you create the perfect home for you to raise yours. I invite you to take a look at some of the recent homes we’ve built in the Seattle area—and maybe even take a virtual tour. We’d love to help you create the perfect family friendly home for your family.